We are currently accepting applications for this coming 2021 Summer Season.
Sage Outdoor Adventures is a well-established year-round guide service that has much smaller shoulder/off seasons than your ordinary seasonal business. We have a core team of employees that work only and exclusively for Sage, year-round. They do a mixture of a lot of things, including Raft Guide, Safety Kayak, Snowmobile Guide, Fishing Guide, Van/bus driver, ATV Guide, and Guide Horses as Wranglers. Any and all of this could be you!
We hire people who are genuinely good, happy people. People that love being outside, surrounded by nature, that love other people, are gifted at sharing, and are naturally giving, polite and mature. We can train you to do the above-mentioned jobs all we need from you is an excellent attitude and willingness to work!
Full and Part-Time Positions are available
SAGE IS A DRUG-FREE WORKPLACE. All applicants must agree to a Nationwide criminal and driving background check, as well as pass a pre-employment drug screen. Upon hire, all employees must agree to be entered in a random drug/alcohol screening pool for the duration of their employment.
Pay varies depending on the position and your level of experience. Many of the positions available also receive consistent tips on a daily basis. Looking for a fun, outdoor career near Vail, Colorado?
Whitewater Raft Guides – (Eagle River, Colorado River & Arkansas River)
- Please read the Guide Certification Program Below.
Office / Reservations / Front Desk Staff – Multiple Locations
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $16.00 to $18.00 /hour
The guest experience starts with the initial phone call and we at Sage pride ourselves with having the most efficient and professional sales team in the outfitting business. We offer 6 to 7 different activities and as you can imagine having multiple activities and 3 different locations, it requires a sales team that can adapt quickly to selling products and having a basic understanding of each activity offered. Being able to switch topics quickly is key to this position.
We have a very casual, well-run, and extremely fun office centrally located in Eagle-Vail where most calls for the entire operation flow through. The office is open from 8:00 AM to 6 PM and operates 7 days per week.
Our office has lots of windows, great views of the Eagle River, Red & White Mountain, and the back of Beaver Creek. This is not your typical office where you are stuck at a desk under bad lighting and no fresh air. Lots of excitement with staff interaction all day long.
- Answering Phones
- Describe Tours, Activities, Trip Times, Age and Ability Requirements, Cancellation Policies, Etc.
- Input reservations for all activities offered
- Transfer calls to various departments
- Work with Guide Staff during the day
- Occasionally work at our Mountain Base located North of Wolcott or our River Outpost in Dotsero helping out with our front desks.
- Deliver sales materials to our clients if needed
- Respond to online chat inquiries, emails, and online reviews.
- Experience with taking reservations either for activities, lodging, or similar
- Knowledge of the Vail Valley and surrounding areas.
- Excellent phone communication skills – the ability to be enthusiastic and generate excitement while quickly booking a reservation.
- Ability to learn Reservations Software and other related computer programs
- Efficient working on a computer, typing, and working with technology.
- Have a vehicle to get to work and a clean driving record in case you use a company vehicle
- You currently live in the Vail Valley somewhere between Gypsum and East Vail – This is mandatory in order to work in this department.
- Sage operates under permits from the United States Forest Service, Bureau of Land Management, and the Department of Transportation and is held to higher standards than most companies. We require certain items in order to maintain our status in the industry.
- All applicants must be at least 18 years old for this position and have a clean driving record
- Sage is a Drug Free workplace and all employees must complete a standard drug screening upon being hired.
- All applicants must pass a background and Motor Vehicle Record check.
- All applicants must be eligible to work in the United States.
- Full Time is typically 40 hours per week and potential for overtime regularly as the season gets busier in peak times.
- We have shifts available each day of the week and need to cover weekends/weekdays.
- All shifts would begin at 8 am
- The office schedule is typically set and offers the ability for you to count on certain days off.
- We require you are available the entire summer beginning in May and going through September. We are unable to offer extended time off during peak season which is June 15th to September 7th.
A large part this position will require you to participate in ALL the activities that we offer. (FYI…This is really FUN!!!!)
Very important: For this position, you will be required to participate in Whitewater Rafting, ATV/Side x Side, 5 Stand Shooting Lesson, Horseback, Fly Fishing, Driving vans around to learn where all of our pick up locations are and in general be an active part of not just the office but our guide staff. If you are unable or unwilling to participate in what we are offering it is virtually impossible to sell it confidently.
Regular Pay for this position begins at $16/Hour and could be as much as $18/Hour to start based on qualifications, industry experience and knowledge of Sage and the activities offered.
- Free and Discounted Activities for Family and Friends
- Discounted Food and Retail at Base Locations
- Pro Deal Pricing with various Outdoor Equipment and Apparel Dealers
- Ability to work year-round and quickly advance in pay
- Flexible time off especially in Off Seasons
If you would like to learn more about being on the Sales Team contact Robin Leedle or Joe Tomasic at 970-476-3700. Please submit a resume to the email link provided.
Wranglers – Mountain Base (Wolcott)
June 1st to September 8th
- We are seeking individuals experienced with Horses and trail guiding. We offer 2 Hour Guided Scenic Tours to the General Public. We are not a boarding facility or hunting operation. We are seeking Wranglers that have excellent communication and customer service skills and have knowledge about caring for and riding horses.
Fly Fishing Guides – (Piney River, Eagle River, Gore Creek, Colorado River)
May 1st to September 29th
- Sage Outdoor Adventures has access to some of the most exclusive Private Fishing Water in the State of Colorado. We are the only outfitter with access to the Piney River which runs for 7 miles through 33,000 Acres of the Piney Valley Ranch. Here we offer high-end full and 1/2 day Wade trips. We also have permits to fish the Eagle and Colorado Rivers.
Our main focus when recruiting fly fishing guides is the ability for a guide to not just be knowledgeable about fishing but have an outgoing personality suited to teaching novice participants how to fish and sharing your love of the sport with the people we take out.
The majority of trips tend to be Wade trips so guides are not required to have a River Certification however it is preferred so you are able to guide float trips as well.
CDL Drivers – (Eagle-Vail, Avon)
May 24th to September 29th
- Most drivers will begin their day at our main office located in Eagle-Vail and primarily transport our rafting customers from their hotels to the rivers near Granite, Buena Vista, Dotsero and Eagle. Then bring them back. You will also provide transportation for groups to our Mountain Base in Wolcott. CDL drivers are extremely in demand from June through Mid September and will make excellent money with out driving around in circles.
ATV (Side x Side) Guides – (Wolcott)
June 1st to September 30th
- Very limited positions are available as Side x Side guides as most of our Snowmobile Guides transition to Summer ATV guides. We do however tend to hire a few guides each Summer.
Kitchen / Cook Staff / Cafe Counter Person (Dotsero – Near Glenwood Canyon)
May 1st to September 29th
- We are looking for multi-talented individuals that are not only able to prepare food but also have the customer service skills to take orders, ring up sales, serve beer, wine, snacks in our Quick Serve Cafe located in Dotsero.
The cafe will serve not only our Rafting and Rental Guests but also the General Public since our facility is located directly next to a very busy River Access Point.
2021 RAFT / FISHING GUIDE CERTIFICATION TRAINING PROGRAM
10 days of adrenaline-filled whitewater adventures on the Eagle, Colorado, and Arkansas Rivers!
At Sage Outdoor Adventures most of our summer recruiting for River Related Activities is done through our commercial River Guide Training Program. If you want to guide Whitewater Rafts or Float Fishing Boats anywhere in the U.S., you must complete one of these courses. Sage’s River training class is cutting edge and EXTREMELY FUN!!! Our instructors are true river experts and some of the friendliest professionals you will ever meet.
This year’s class will begin June 7th and is 10+ days long. This class is full-on everything river guiding. If you don’t already love the river, you will after this experience. This program not only prepares you for river guiding but develops your sphere of awareness along with skills crucial to most any guiding position. Whether on snow, land, water, in life or business experienced guides look at things much differently and have command/control over any situation presented to them. Our river training program instills these attributes and perspectives and is a key foundation for starting your career as a professional guide.
In the river guide training program, we will teach you swift-water rescue techniques, rowing skills, paddle guiding, river features, hydrology, boat anatomy, rigging, rescue, customer service and much more. We begin on mellow water in boats with rowing frames and you will spend time learning to control the boat with oars. As you get the hang of rowing and reading the water in easy sections, we work into paddle boating (where the guide is in the back of the raft steering with a single paddle and calling paddle commands to the crew) in class III and class IV whitewater.
You will be challenged daily, meet amazing people and form friendships that will last a lifetime. You will do things in rivers that most people can’t even comprehend. You will swim through raging whitewater, practice real rescue scenarios, guide boats, control paddle crews, and have an ear to ear smile the whole time
We hire many of the participants that complete the program, though a job as a river or fishing guide is not guaranteed simply by completing the program. We only put people on the river commercially if they show exceptional aptitude for the skills needed to guide. If for some reason you do not get hired as a river guide we have many other positions available within the company and students of our class tend to be our first choice when filling these roles.
FOR 2021 RAFT GUIDE TRAINING IS $260
INCLUDES BASIC FIRST AID AND CPR CERTIFICATION & ANAPHYLAXIS EPINEPHRINE, WHICH IS REQUIRED BY THE STATE FOR ALL GUIDES.
We interview all potential attendees prior to admitting you to the program, as we only admit those we think would fit well with our team. This is purely a hiring/training program and not a course offered the general public.
During the program, we will provide you with any necessary river gear such as wet suits, river booties, splash tops, P.F.D.’s (Life Vests) and helmet if you do not already own this equipment. Once you complete the program and if you are selected to work as a guide you will need to invest in some of your own personal gear such as a helmet, P.F.D. and guide paddle. We have excellent Pro Deals set up with all the top manufacturers.